Joshua ISD Child Nutrition Department
2018-2022 Strategic Plan
Child Nutrition Vision Statement
The Joshua ISD Child Nutrition Department will strive to help each student achieve his/her full learning potential by providing age appropriate well-balanced meals, nutritional education, and a supportive environment.
Child Nutrition Mission Statement
We will support the essential link between nutrition and education by providing high quality, nutritious meals that are appealing to our student body and meet the recommended dietary allowances for school-age children.
Child Nutrition Core Value Statements
- We will provide safe, nutritious food in an environment that is welcoming to all students.
- We will provide nutritious meals daily to promote a student’s ability to learn.
- We will utilize program resources and commodities in a manner to best provide appealing, nutritious meals to all students.
- We will communicate effectively with all stakeholders to form partnerships in a continuing effort to provide the best service and to teach our students to make healthy choices.
Goal 1: The Child Nutrition Department will provide safe food in a safe environment
- All employees will obtain a Food Handler’s certification prior to starting in a kitchen.
- All campus managers and the Director of Child Nutrition will maintain a current ServSafe certificate.
- All employees will maintain personal hygiene to a level that reflects pride in one’s profession.
- Food and supplies are procured following district specifications and handled according to prescribed sanitation standards.
- A Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points policy is in place and reviewed annually with updates sent to campuses via revisions to campus manuals.
Goal 2: The Child Nutrition Department will supply meals that support health, growth, and learning
- 100% of meals will meet the nutritional requirements for the appropriate age/grade groups.
- 100% of meals will contain all food components as required by the Texas Department of Agriculture.
- 100% of all a la carte items will comply with the Smart Snack guidelines.
Goal 3: The Child Nutrition Department will provide effective and efficient use of personnel, equipment, commodities, and technology to meet the present and future needs of a changing environment
- Accurate and consistent data is generated and archived to build a history of performance.
- Managers are trained to understand the information derived from data and how to meet their sites performance standards.
- Budget development is done collaboratively and in a way that is aligned with district goals to insure a high level of fiscal responsibility, accountability, and accuracy.
- The Child Nutrition Department will determine the average usable life span of the equipment and implement a replacement schedule to provide for consistent replacement of worn equipment.
- The need for technology updates and/or other measures to improve student services and protect the integrity of student accounts will be evaluated annually.
- 90% of JISD staff and parents will respond with satisfaction on the annual survey.
- Child Nutrition staff will attend the Student Health Advisory Council meetings to help keep the community and district administration aware of happenings within the program.
- The Child Nutrition Department will promote health and wellness at each campus by posting nutrition education materials and initiating parent/student involvement activities.
- The Director of Child Nutrition and the campus managers will communicate with principals and nurses regularly to best serve our students and parents collaboratively.
- The department’s commitment to customer service will be conveyed by the use of the district web-site, menus, personal contact, and campus publications.